Day 21 - Declutter Food Storage Containers


Decluttering the extra food storage containers is the decluttering task for today.

 Please note: I use the word Tupperware (not as the brand) but a more generic way of saying Food Storage containers.  I am not endorsing the Tupperware brand it’s just easier to type 😊

Of course, if you use Tupperware containers regularly then it is definitely something that you need to keep.  They are fantastic at storing left and other food items.  But if you're praying that a large quantity of them will not spill out every time you open a cupboard or if a drawer can't close properly because it is overflowing with them, you probably have too many.

 

Day 21 Decluttering your food storage containers

What Is the Appropriate Number of Containers to Keep?

When thinking about how many items to keep there are several factors to consider:

  • Do you save leftover food?
  • Do you batch-cook your meals?
  • Do you use them for storing meat or cheese?

If you don’t batch cook food, you would need less than someone who makes up their meals in advance – Do you use the leftover food for lunch tomorrow? 

My needs would be – I don’t store leftover foods, I don’t batch cook, but I store the kids packed lunch ingredients in the fridge in Tupper ware boxes (ham, cooked chicken, cheese), and my Raw meat (bacon, minced meat and chicken) so that the raw juices don’t spill out into the fridge.

 

What Containers Should You Discard?

The obvious candidates for decluttering are containers that are badly warped, stained, have lost their lids, and have broken seals or clasps.

Additionally, if you have a lot of Tupperware, keep good quality items rather than cheap ones.


An Important Note Regarding Re-Using Food Containers, like ice-cream Tubs.

It would be remiss of me to not mention these food storage containers, such as used yoghurt pots and margarine and ice cream containers. I bet a pound to a pinch of salt – you have some lurking in the cupboard.  I know I do.

Whilst these are inexpensive because you already purchased them with the food item you received.  Saving every single one can seriously mount up and is the cause of that avalanche of Tupperware when you open the cupboard door.

I do keep my old ice cream tubs, and yoghurt pots – because I use them when I mix up paint or clean my paint brushes with white spirits.  I don’t keep them in the kitchen, I keep them in a box in my craft room.

If you have a lot of these types of items, use the criteria above to declutter them.  Most of them are recyclable so the next time the bin man comes to collect your recycling they are gone – easy as that.

Once you’ve gotten on top of the Tupperware mountain - use the one-in, one-out rule.  This will help to keep them at a manageable level to prevent these containers from slowly piling up and creating a major mess once more.

 

What to do with your Decluttered Containers.

I would say that you have two options, you can either recycle them or donate them.  In my experience, it is not worthwhile to try to sell these unless you have a full set in exceptionally good condition.

 

If you are thinking about donating them.  Make sure that the item is complete – i.e the container has a matching lid - otherwise, it is just something useless.  As I have mentioned in previous posts – I used to volunteer in a charity shop and the amount of useless crap that people donated was quite honestly disgraceful.  Tupperware without lids, and vice versa, chipped mugs – Donating to charity is meant to help the charity raise money – not stick them with the problem of how to dispose of your rubbish – Ok – rant over…

 

How I store my Tupperware

I used to keep them in my bottom cupboard, but I became fed up with having to shove them all back in because they had fallen out when I tried to get a container.



So I decided the best thing was to contain them

But I re-organised my kitchen cupboard, so I now store them in a box on top of my wall cupboard, they are easy to get to, but they don't take up space in my cupboard anymore.




The benefit of storing them this way - is I can just throw them in and not have to worry about them toppling on me when I next open the cupboard to get one.  



They don't look too bad on top of the cupboard in the box, next to the water bottles and travel mugs that we decluttered yesterday. Plus when it comes to cleaning on top of the cupboards all I have to do is pull down a couple of boxes and I'm good to go.

For more, I have written a post with tips on how to organise your food storage containers.

For me, decluttering is not about becoming a minimalist - it's a way that I can become more organised, and have systems in place to make my life easier - for example when I'm cleaning.

What are your thoughts on food storage boxes - do you love them or hate them. Leave me a message in the comments below and let me know if Tupperware is your friend or your nemesis.

I really appreciate you stopping by and want to say thank you - because without you I wouldn't be here. Believe in Yourself, You got this, NOW Go Declutter!

Contact Form