15 Ways to Start Decluttering When You Feel Overwhelmed

Look around, do you have that draining feeling of being overwhelmed by the amount of clutter in your home?  Don’t know where to start? Well, firstly you’re in the right place. 

There is never going to be a perfect time to declutter, especially if you are leaving it until it feels less overwhelming.  The longer you leave it - the worst it becomes - the more overwhelmed you become.  It’s a vicious catch-22 cycle.  I know how it feels – honestly, I was stuck on that cycle for 15 or so years.  

But I have managed to break that cycle, and I want you to break it too.  I have put together my top 15 Real-life tips that will not only motivate you but will help you to overcome the stress you are feeling, and set you on the right path to start Decluttering like a Goddess.



How to start Decluttering when you feel Overwhelmed

 

1. The Power of Positivity

It is hard to put into words the power of positive thinking.    So, if you are struggling with the decluttering process.  I would say that the first thing you need to do is to change the way you think about the decluttering process.  Easier said than done, I hear you say.  I know that decluttering can be not only physically tiring but also mentally draining.   


What you need to focus on when you start to declutter, is that the process will lead you to a clutter-free home, which helps to reduce stress and anxietySo, let’s replace the negative feelings of being overwhelmed that have stopped you from moving forward - and swap them with positive thoughts.  I don’t mean to go all hippy-dippy and hug all the trees around your home (but you can do if you so desire.)  But rather, try to look past the clutter, and visualise how you will feel when the process is complete.  It will take you some time to master this, so why not start now – and give it a go, what do you have to lose – well apart from the clutter and overwhelm that is 😊

 

2. Make a decluttering plan 

In the words of Benjamin Franklin: If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail!  It is so true!  Whilst you might be eager to get started on chucking out the clutter, in the long term making a decluttering plan is vital to your success.  A plan can be as simple and straightforward as you want it – or if you’re a planner like me, you can make it more complicated.

 

For a Simple plan grab yourself a notebook and try answering these questions:


What do you want to achieve by decluttering? 

Set mini goals (micro) instead of setting one major goal. Smaller goals are so much easier to achieve. Smaller goals allow you to experience more wins and you will be less likely to give up because the progress is not as quick as you want.

Which area do you want to start decluttering? 

This is completely up to you.  Think about the area that you wish to have organised first.  I did my bedroom first – This may seem a little selfish – but I did have a reason why.  I struggle to sleep.  I used to roam down to the bottom of the bed and practically sleep top and tails with my husband.  This really isn’t the best situation for a relationship.  I knew this was a problem area for me, so this was the first room that I tackled.  Let me tell you – I am so glad that I did. It has rejuvenated my life.  I know that some of you may be thinking “yes, right..” but it is true – I am sleeping better, I have more energy, and I am waking up to a room that I love – which is encouraging me to carry on decluttering and organising the other rooms.

How much time do you need to declutter? 

Give yourself a realistic timeline.  Having a realistic time frame is a definite must.  You don’t have to plan a minute-by-minute account of the process because that is just overkill – even for me and my need to plan 😊 Think about it, your home did not become so unruly in an hour, so decluttering and organising will not be done in an hour.  If you want to tackle a drawer – put a time limit of – say 15 minutes. When that 15 minute is over you can choose to stop decluttering or carry on, the choice is yours. I bet you will carry on though.  I will warn you - it is so addictive seeing decluttered, organised and manageable drawer.

What are you going to do with all the items that you are discarding? 

Make a note of all of the donation places, or selling sites, so once you’ve completed your decluttering for the day/week - so you won’t just end up with a pile of discarded items and get overwhelmed about where to put them.  The purpose of your decluttering process is to remove the items that you do not want in your home anymore, so having bags of these items blocking a doorway will overshadow what you have actually achieved. 

Having an exit plan for all these discarded items is essential.  At the end of each day when I am decluttering, I pack up these bags and drive them to the charity shop, the recycling centre or I put them in the donation station that I have created. That way, they have left my home, and are no longer blocking any doorway or walkway. I have a clean slate to carry on tomorrow.

 

When I started decluttering I designed myself a Decluttering Action plan, and it kind of grew into a workbook,  it was amazingly useful, Not only did it allow me to track my progress, but I was able to show my husband  if you would like to get a copy of this FREE 10-page Workbook feel free :)

FREE Decluttering Goal Planning Workbook


3. Supplies at the ready!

Gather all of the supplies that you need before you embark on decluttering. This will help to speed things up and keep you focused during the process. We are talking about: Binbags for rubbish, and a box for items that don’t belong in that space (to be put away later – not during the designated decluttering time). Bag/box for donations, one for items to sell, and one for recycling.  You will need a drink and possibly a snack – do you need a pen and paper to make notes on?  I find writing things down whilst I am tackling a job means I am less likely to forget.

 

4. Start on the area that will provide the biggest Impact

When we look at the achievements of our hard work, I believe it motivates us to carry on. That’s why I recommend that you start in the area that will provide the biggest impact.  

The Living room, Kitchen, Bedroom, and Bathroom can affect the quality of your day-to-day living. Perhaps you would like to start with one of those areas you use most frequently.  As I mentioned before, when I started my decluttering journey, I started in my bedroom.  Even though only my husband and I saw the benefit of it, but having a room that was uncluttered and blissful had a knock-on effect to having a better night’s sleep, which in turn had a knock on to my energy levels, and finally improved my mental health.  So, for me, that was the best decision I made.

 

You will soon notice that getting these areas clutter-free and organised will inspire you to work on other areas in your home and who knows it may encourage other family members may join in 😊

 

5. Tackle the Easiest Thing First

Once you have decided on which room you are going to start on, the best way to tackle that room is to remove the easy things first.  Ok, what are the easy things? Things that you don’t have an emotional attachment to, things that you don’t have to think twice about as you discard them – start with the packaging – empty envelopes, junk mail, empty drinks cans/bottles, and random pieces of paper, I swear these multiply on their own.


So, what are you waiting for, grab a few empty boxes or bags and fill them with things you don’t need or use anymore.

 

6. Move on the Big Guns

Larger items like cardboard boxes, furniture, and appliances may seem daunting to deal with initially.  But by getting rid of these bulky items first you will free up significant space in the room. Once these items are out it will allow you to immediately notice that you’ve made progress, which will motivate you to continue decluttering.


Broken furniture is another easy win.  Furniture can be bulky and take up quite a considerable amount of space – so if you have a side table with a leg so wonky that you can’t put a cup of coffee down on – now is the time to discard that, and make room.

 

7. Cross it off a checklist

Most people who are overwhelmed by decluttering often don’t know where or how to get started.  


If this sounds like you, you can use a decluttering checklist as a guide to help you. Having a concise checklist will guide you through the decluttering process by room and will give you ideas on what to discard and make it less intimidating. All you have to do is follow the list and check off each item once completed.


Go on, admit it, who doesn’t love crossing things off a list – It can’t be just me, can it?


8. Keep it short and Sweet

A good way to start decluttering when you are feeling overwhelmed is to keep each session short.  Do you have a busy schedule, and the thought of dedicating an entire day to decluttering scares the bejesus out of you?  You would be surprised what you can manage in 15 or 30-minute chunks.

The idea of spending only 15 minutes a day decluttering is certainly appealing because it feels quick and doable.  What you need to, it’s not about how quickly you declutter and discard the items, but how consistent you are. You’ll still make significant progress if you declutter for 15 minutes every day for a month. When you work it out that is 7 and a half hours a month.  So, which would you prefer – a whole day of decluttering or 30 lots of 15 minutes 😊

 


Have you got an Overwhelming feeling

9. Don’t worry about perfection

Are you feeling overwhelmed because you don’t have the time/energy to complete the decluttering process?  Or, are you a perfection procrastinator – worrying that you can’t do a good job so you put it off- oh I know all about you guys – I live with one 😊

 

I will let you into a little secret…there’s no such thing as perfection. You know those picture-perfect images you see on social media, well they are staged and edited.  Your home is not a staged photograph – it is meant to be lived in – Don’t try to keep your home constantly Pinterest-Worthy – because what you will find is that you won’t enjoy living in your home.

 

If you’re concerned you can’t complete your decluttering in a day or a week, that’s ok.  Do it in 15-minute chunks, yes it will take you longer – but progress is still progress - no matter how small it is.

 

10. Pleasure vs Pain

When you think of decluttering, do you imagine wildly throwing items into several different boxes and bags?  Sometimes decluttering can feel overwhelming because we picture it as a negative thing.  This links back to point number 1.  Making the decluttering process a pleasant experience will go a long way to reducing that overwhelm.  I use the acronym PLOPS – yes it doesn’t sound great – But it does work


You can:

  • Prepare – Get your checklists, goal workbooks out
  • Listen to a podcast or audiobook or music
  • Open the windows and get some fresh air circulating
  • Prepare your refreshing drink and snacks
  • Spray some nice air fresher in the room – or light an incense stick or wax melts


Creating a peaceful and relaxing environment to work in is important as this will give you the motivation to start decluttering.

 

11. Recruit help or Go it Alone

Having the right help can reduce some of the stress you face before you start decluttering.  Be it a family member or a friend, having the right person with you can help with decluttering.  Not only can they offer advice during the process, but they can also give you the moral support you need to keep going!

 

12. Donate instead of sell

Selling items take up a lot of time and effort. If you’re already feeling overwhelmed, you should avoid signing up for tasks that give you more stress.  Donating your items is an easy, fast, and efficient way of getting rid of your clutter. I highly recommend sticking to this method if you don’t need the additional income. If you can't decide what to do with your decluttered items your items the 35+ Ways to deal with your Decluttered Items can give you advice on where to discard them.

 

13. Don’t declutter and organise at the same time

Decluttering and organising at the same time really should never be done together.  This will only lengthen the process causing you to feel tired, fed up and demotivated.  Leaving what was a cluttered room in total chaos - worse than when you started is not a good way to motivate you in the future.

 

As much fun as it is, organising and buying storage should be left until you have finished decluttering.  Otherwise, you could be wasting your money because you don’t know what you need until you’ve decided what to keep and what to discard.  Always declutter before you organise. It’s a lot easier and more effective to organise when you’ve gotten rid of everything you don’t need anymore.

 

14. Reward yourself

It’s important to reward yourself after all of the hard work you’ve put in. The reward doesn’t have to be a physical item – remember, the purpose of this process is to remove the clutter, not add to it!  There are many ways you can reward yourself, such as a nice long hot bubbly bath, going to the pictures and watching a film.  Going for a relaxing meal with a friend who has patiently helped you declutter. Rewarding yourself will instantly boost your mood and make you happy.  As a result, you will look forward to the next decluttering session because you know you will be rewarded for your effort.

 

15. Don’t Procrastinate – Just start now!

This step may feel like the hardest, but it truly is the simplest.  Overthinking or over-analysing something usually leads to more anxiety, self-doubt and stress. The more you think about decluttering, the more overwhelmed you’ll feel.  So, don’t spend too much time thinking about the decluttering process, try to focus on your goal, next make your decluttering plan, and then there will be no stopping you.  I promise once you get started, you will enjoy the process



Contact Form