How To Break Free of The Emotional Baggage of Clutter

We all want to live in a clutter-free environment.  But it is the emotional attachments to our stuff that prevent us from clearing the clutter from our homes. 

How do I know this?  I was emotionally attached to my stuff – this was the main barrier preventing me from decluttering my own home.


Break Free of Emotional Baggage of Clutter


I started to do some research on “why I was finding it so hard to part with my stuff” I came across a number of recurring themes.  However, I am aware that not everyone approaches decluttering in the same way and not everyone faces the same obstacles I am sure that you can relate to some if not all of these themes.

Let me be clear - I am not perfect, I am not a minimalist and I certainly don't claim to have all the answers. In fact, I occasionally hold onto things for far too long (my craftroom is the prime example – I think this is the room that ticks all of the boxes).

So, let’s get on to try and tackle those Clutter Problems.


1 - Sentimental Value

The number one reason why people struggle to discard clutter is that an item had sentimental value.  The first thing to consider is what is forcing you to discard it.

If you have room for it in your home and can access it frequently to help you remember that wonderful and special memory, it is not clutter. It does not correspond to the definition of clutter.  Instead, this object is cherished, and it has a place in your home – so keep it guilt-free.

The real issue arises when there are too many items with sentimental value competing for space and attention. If that's the case, you'll have to make some difficult decisions about what is most special because, realistically, you only have so much space and attention.

This is where, in my opinion, tough love comes into play.  If it's not important enough for you to proudly display or keep in a special place you can access frequently, and you don't find yourself thinking about it for months on end, it's probably not as sentimental as you think.


2 - It was a gift

Many people are hesitant to declutter gifts received from friends and family, whether they like or want the gift or not, regardless of whether they have room for it.

The main reason for keeping it is to avoid upsetting the gift giver's feelings. That is something I completely understand. I don't want you to hurt anyone's feelings if possible.

However, if that gift alone, or in a mixture with other things, is making you frustrated about your home because it is so cluttered, you must address the issue.

The important thing to remember is to keep your feelings about the person separate from the object itself. Deal with each issue separately.  Just because you no longer wish to keep the item, doesn’t mean that you no longer wish to keep the friendship.

The way that I see it is: The person gave you a gift out of love, and they would not want you to keep hold of that item if they knew it was causing your stress and anxiety.  They would rather you discard that item, and be more at peace than keep it because it was a gift.

 

3 - Letting Go of The Dream

This is a tough one.  There are certain items in a person's home that represent a dream, by dream I mean how they would like to perceive themselves, and they don't want to give up. 

For instance, someone – (may be its me),  might not want to get rid of a lot of craft supplies I haven't used in years because it reminds me of a number of things :

I don't have the time, sometimes I don’t have the motivation, do those crafts that I had hoped I could do… Fantasy Dawn would love to sit in her beautifully clutter-free organised craftroom – making cards for every occasion that comes around.  But real life Dawn, has a home to run, a family to care for and a serious addiction to true crime videos on Youtube. But that aside, nobody likes to admit that they failed to realise a dream, whether it was due to failure because of time pressures or simply making the decision to take a different course of action.

But if you realise that this is the root cause of stopping you from moving on in the decluttering process, you can achieve significant progress.  It will allow you to deal with your feelings, move on, and then you’re ready discard the physical stuff.

And let me tell you, there is nothing more liberating than discarding the things that don’t fit with the way the real you lives your life.  It can also help you feel the peace by removing a layer of guilt - like not using that uber-expensive craft machine, which sits there looking at me – it’s like a reminder of how much I have failed.  Why should I feel like a failure just because I have decided that card-making is not a journey I wish to continue?   It’s time to thank it for the use I have had from it – and discard it – safe in the knowledge that someone else will use it.

 

4. I Spent a Lot of Money on That.

Moving on to emotional issues regarding money.  I’m sure a number of you can relate to this.  Money is tight for many of us, including my family, Who can blame people for worrying about it in this economy? When money is tight and you are watching every penny, the idea of selling an expensive item you recently purchased may seem absurd.

But bear in mind -  that keeping the item won't return the money we spent on the item —this is something we all need to accept. We have already spent the money– it is gone.  Just because something was expensive doesn’t mean it is actually useful to us.

Ok, we may have spent our money unwisely in the past, but we can’t undo what we have already done.   Clutter itself costs money, along with taking a toll on you emotionally and pinching you of time, so keeping items that are clutter just because they cost us a lot of money in the past doesn't solve the problem.

Think about it - you have to spend time maintaining, cleaning, insuring, and storing clutter, in addition to paying for the space, it takes up in your home.

It all comes down to accepting that not everything maintains a high value over time and forgiving yourself for prior financial mistakes. By accepting these realities, you'll be able to move past the associated emotions and discard the item without feeling bad. Isn’t it better to get a little bit of money back into your pocket and have the space – rather than no money and no space? 

Use this as a learning curve for next time.  Make your purchases intentional rather than impulsive.  Do you really need that new sparkling cutting machine, when you have two that do a similar job?  This will not only save you from filling up your space in record time – but will save you money on purchases that you don’t really need.

 
How to break free of the emotional baggage of Clutter

5 - I might need it Someday.

What if I need this someday? Or the “Justin Caser” is a common when they are trying to declutter their homes.  There is the an old saying  that goes, "If you haven't needed it in the last year or two, you probably won't need it again.".  I wholeheartedly agree with that wise advice.

But I'm not sure that takes into account the psychological and emotional feelings toward some of your items. Rather than simply wanting to amass a large collection of possessions, I believe it stems from a primal fear of not having enough. – It is like an anxiety - that you don't trust yourself or others to take care of you in the future.

This is where the 20/20 rule of decluttering comes into play.   Using this rule, could silence some of that anxiety you have.  

But ultimately, there comes a point and a time when you have to take a leap of faith and trust in yourself and your loved ones to help you with things, rather than thinking you're all on your own with no resources or skills.

 

6 - It's So Messy, I don’t know where to begin -  So I Won't even Start.

This was my nemesis .. this is the one I was stuck on for far too long.  When we think of the project ahead, it can be very overwhelming, and sometimes we can’t seem to get over the enormity of the job, so we stay stuck, doing nothing.  It’s not because we are lazy – not by any chalk of the imagination, it’s much harder to keep stuff-shuffling to clean than it is if we less stuff – so I KNOW it’s not laziness.

When we're stressed out, many of us don't even want to start because the task seems too overwhelming. That emotion is one that I completely comprehend.  Hey, don’t forget I have been there. I know that feeling of being torn because you really really want to get on top of it, but you literally just don’t know where to start. Your mind is going 100 miles per hour when you look at your mountains of stuff, you feel sick at the thought and you feel that crushing feeling in your chest – but in the end, you become so paralysed that you don’t do anything.

After falling down the rabbit hole of overcoming those feelings – partly to learn how to personally overcome it and partly to stop looking at the mess I was surrounded by.  I have discovered that the majority of the advice pointed to dividing large tasks into manageable pieces in order to make them seem less stressful and more feasible.

So I gave it a go, and slowly but surely, I started working through my clutter – bit by bit – drawer by drawer, cupboard by cupboard, room by room.

You know what – It works. IT REALLY WORKS!!!  I can’t take credit for this approach – but I can tell you no matter how bad you think your whole house is – don’t think of it as a whole house. Do as I did… Drawer by drawer – So what if it takes you longer than a whole weekend? So what if it’s not Pinterest-worthy? You know what, at the end of the year you will be where you want to be.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t despair – You can do this – You can live in the home that you want to live in.  I hate the thought of you living miserably like I did for so many years.  Just remember drawer by drawer.

Do you find yourself resonating with any of these emotions?  Are they holding you back from living your best clutter-free life?

Leave me a message in the comments below, since if you feel that way, I know others may have too.

 


I really appreciate you stopping by, and want to say thank you - because without you I wouldn't be here. Believe in Yourself, You got this, NOW Go Declutter!

Contact Form