Day 1 - How to Declutter and Organise your Sink (Before and After Pics)

Hello all, 

Day 1 In the 30 Days to an Organised Kitchen Challenge

Welcome to Day 1 of The 30 days to an Organised Kitchen, are you ready for the challenge.  I promise you - by the end of the month, all these 15-minute challenges will make a HUGE impact, not just on your life, but your family's life too. 


30 Days to An Organised Kitchen Challenge

The challenge today is decluttering the worktop/countertops and keeping the sink clean and clear.


We spend so much time in the kitchen. It’s where your family gathers to cook and eat – maybe it is a space where the kids do homework, or you pay bills etc. Since so many different activities occur in this one area, and it’s so frequently used, the kitchen can get messy very quickly.


Organising your kitchen first will have a huge impact on you and your family.    As the saying goes “the kitchen is the heart of the home” so this month let’s give it some love. 


So, let’s start our Decluttering journey with something that has a big impact. This will help keep us motivated to continue with the rest of the challenges, and you will start seeing the positive results of your efforts right away.


I will start the ball rolling with my own Sink and Worktop before and after.

 

The 30 Days to an Organised Kitchen Challenge - Day 1


The first thing I did before starting the 15 minutes was to wash the remaining dishes, dry and put them away so my sink was clean (this doesn’t count in the 15 minutes). 


Timer on!


I emptied off the clutter from the window sill, put it on my kitchen worktop, gave the window a wash, and cleaned the window sill.


I removed all the painting paraphernalia that I had left there to dry, (I can't wait to show you my newly decorated home - which I have done 95% by myself - hubby has helped with the bathroom doors) – and put it away in the painting draw in my craft room.    I  relocated my husband's bits and bobs into a box in the craft room – He can put his own stuff away.  ðŸ˜Š


I watered the plants and relocated them back on the newly cleaned window sill.


30 days to an Organised Kitchen Challenge


I decanted the washing-up liquid into the brown pump bottle (it was just laziness that I didn’t do it before, and stored the half-full bottle under the sink – ready for the top-up later in the week.  


I gave the sink, draining board and a teeny bit of worktop between the sink and the cooker and tiles a good scrub, and finished it with some anti-bacterial spray, it’s amazing how greasy it gets when your husband does a fry-up.


Finally, I decluttered the utility holder – Who knew that I had 7 wooden spoons – I discarded 3, I think 4 wooden spoons are enough for when I am baking with the kids. Don't worry about decluttering your Utensils if they are not in the sink area, as we have a day planned for those.


30 Days to An Organised Kitchen Challenge Day 1




It really does feel so much more spacious around the sink area - and the amount of light coming in just by removing a few items from the window.  Well, I am impressed. 


I did spend more than 15 minutes on this task because I thoroughly cleaned the area, and the tiles and I cleaned the window too, this was done on top of the decluttering - but the actual decluttering task took me approximately 15 minutes.  I think it was worth spending an extra 15-30 minutes.  As I will just need to give them a wipe-down each day, as part of the Maintenance. So what do you think?  


Don't forget to drop by tomorrow, as we tackle the decluttering and organising of the worktops.  Let me know in the comments how you got on with organising your sink?  I love seeing your photos so don't forget to tag me #GoDeclutterblog30DayChallenge


I really appreciate you stopping by, and want to say thank you - because without you I wouldn't be here. Believe in Yourself, You got this, NOW Go Declutter!


Contact Form