Day 2 - How to Declutter and Organise your Worktops - Challenge

Good Morning, 


So glad you have decided to come back for Day 2 In the 30 Days to an Organised Kitchen Challenge 


What did it feel like this morning coming into the kitchen with a beautifully organised sink unit?  I find it sets you up for having a great day, no need to juggle the dishes in the sink when you try to fill the kettle with water.  It just makes life easier and we all need an easier life.

It’s an easy task today – Decluttering and Organising your kitchen worktops.


Day 2 The Organising Kitchen Challenge - The Worktops



If you've got a lot of clutter on your worktops then this task will probably not take you 15 minutes, however, you have two options;

 

·       Do your 15 minutes and see how much you can get done (You will surprise yourself) and call it a day for your daily mission, safe in the knowledge that you have made progress

or,

·       Continue past your 15 minutes and work until you get your worktops clear


Whichever you choose, is fine, as you are in charge of your decluttering journey.  If I ever find myself in this predicament, I use Gemma Bray’s “Future Friend” method, in which I think – will it help me in the future – if the answer is yes, then I tend to do it.


I do need to point out that it’s highly unlikely that you will be able to get/keep your worktop uncluttered with just a one-off 15-minute declutter.




Have you heard of Flat Surface Syndrome (FSS)? In short, people tend to see an open surface as an invitation to put something on it. Once something is put down – it’s amazing how fast it can become overrun with clutter, as the saying goes 

“Clutter attracts clutter”




Just picture your kitchen, free from clutter, your worktops a beautiful space that you can prepare and cook food on, no more stuff shuffling for you.  I will challenge you not to enjoy having clear worktops.

 

The kitchen tends to accumulate Three Types of Clutter

Items that don’t belong in the kitchen

This type of clutter is the stuff that clearly doesn't belong there – The paint tin from the decorating that you’ve just done, the magazine that was being read when you were waiting for the pasta to boil – the list is endless.

These items are fairly easy to deal with, especially in a fifteen-minute decluttering task.  It’s easy to tell that they don’t belong on your worktop, but they were left there – so use this time to move them back to their proper home.

 Paper Clutter

Why does paper clutter accumulate on the worktops?  Is it because they are waiting to be actioned? Is it because it doesn’t have a proper home?  These are the sort of questions that you need to ask yourself as you complete these tasks.  Once you understand why something seems to gravitate to a certain spot, then you can think about organising a permanent home for them.

Items that do belong in the kitchen, but don’t need to take up space on your worktop.

I’m not going to sugarcoat it.  This type of clutter is a royal pain in the behind to get rid of.  Even though it does belong in the kitchen, you need to ask yourself does it need to be on the worktop, or if would it be better stored away in a kitchen cabinet or draw.  You could go one step further and ask – Do you even need it?

 



When you are faced with this type of clutter ask yourself:

 ·       How often do I use it?

·       Could it be stored somewhere else?

·       Would it be easy to get it out if it was put away?


I will use my milk frother as an example.  So, using the above criteria my answers would be.

·       I don’t use it that often, only when I am making hot chocolate

·       Yes, it could be stored in the drawer

·       Yes, it would be easy to get out if it was put away


I think it all depends on your clutter tolerance.  Everybody has a different amount of clutter they can tolerate.  For myself – I have a middle-of-the-road tolerance, I can leave the milk frother out on the worktop, as it’s only a small item and doesn’t get in the way of my day-to-day activity.  My sister on the other hand has a very low tolerance for clutter, and it would drive her crazy seeing it out on the worktop.


For the eagle-eyed reader - Yes the frother is still there, and I have a second bottle of coffee flavouring.

As with most of the tasks in this Decluttering Series - there is no right or wrong answer.  You be you and declutter the worktops until you find a result that you're happy with
 

Now that your worktops are decluttered to how you want them – the trick is keeping them that way.

Day 2 of the Organised Kitchen Challenge

Day 2 of the Organised Kitchen Challenge


Habit Builder

Declutter your Kitchen Worktop daily as part of your Cleaning Routine.


Once you have managed to declutter your worktop, you will find it much easier to keep on top of the clutter.  It’s much easier to deal with one or two pieces of clutter as they occur than waiting until it piles up again.

What I like to do is do a “reset” each evening before I settle down to watch television – the whole routine takes me 15 minutes from start to finish, and then I can sit down and relax knowing that when I wake up in the morning I will not be going downstairs to a messy kitchen.


How did you find decluttering your own worktops?  Did it take you more than 15 minutes?
Let me know in the comments below or tag me in your pictures - I love looking at your before and afters #GoDeclutterblog30DayChallenge

Don't forget to pop on by tomorrow for the Decluttering and Organising of the Under-Sink Unit



Before and After Organised Kitchen


Contact Form