Day 8 - How to Organise the Top & front of the Fridge Challenge

Decluttering the Top and front of the Fridge Freezer 

Day 8 of The 30 days to an Organised Kitchen

In this today's task, we will be decluttering the top and front of the fridge and freezer.


The fridge and the freezer one of the most often used appliances that are in our kitchen.  They can get easily out of control and disorganised if we don’t keep an eye on them.


Decluttering and Organising the top of the Fridge



Gather Your Supplies

I recommend that you gather a few supplies before starting today's Challenge:

  • Rubbish bag – for discarding old and expired food
  • Bowl of hot soapy water
  • Cleaning supplies for cleaning the fridge and freezer
  • Label Maker or labels and a marker


Decluttering the Front of Your Refrigerator

Before we begin with the main part of the task, it is worth taking a couple of minutes to declutter the outside of your refrigerator.  What do you have on the front of your fridge?


As you can see I had quite a bit of clutter that had sneaked its way onto not only the front of the fridge and freeze but onto the side too.



First, I removed the children’s certificates and put them in the kid's scrapbook file (it’s a file in that I keep all of their certificates and reports and acknowledgement postcards from school.  At the end of the school year, we stick them into the scrapbook and store them in the memory boxes in the loft.


I had an important letter on the fridge which I needed to be actioned – this was to be done on the following weekend, I made a note of it on my calendar and phone to remind me to do it then I removed it and pinned it on to the command centre that I recently made. 


I don’t know why we use the fridge for paper storage. Think about it, it's in the kitchen with all the grease and steam, so the papers will naturally get covered in that too.


I removed the fridge magnets and gave them a quick wash, I ended up dropping one, which broke, so I am claiming that as a decluttered (well, I didn’t put it back!!!) I did declutter my magnets the last time I washed my fridge down, so there weren’t that many left.



I had a menu planner on the front of the fridge – Fantasy Dawn had big plans to use this – Reality Dawn never used it once, so every time I went to the fridge - I was reminded that I hadn’t used it.  All of the work I had done during that day was cancelled out by the one task I failed to complete.  It had to go – I am not playing that game anymore.


I cleared the items that were on top of my fridge, and there were a few items that I managed to declutter.

 


I gave the front, side and top a good wash down, it's amazing how gross the top of the fridge can be.






Look at the muesli box – I’m disgusted that I let it get that bad, you know we do actually use that box and we hadn’t realised it was that dirty.



Once it was all clean and dry, I started to put the items back on top..  I put the steamer pan and oven casserole pan in a box to stop them from them sliding on top of the fridge, 


For the sake of transparency  - this task did take me longer than 15 minutes, because not only did I declutter, but I cleaned and organised as well. I would say that the task took me between 30 and 40 minutes.  However, if I were only to do the decluttering this would have been a 15-minute task


It was worth spending the extra 15 minutes as I think that it looks so much better now.


What do you keep on top of your fridge?  Do you keep your important papers on the front of the fridge?  Drop a message in the comments below. I love seeing you're before and after photos so please tag me in the  #GoDeclutterBlog30DayChallenge


I look forward to you joining me again when we organise your fridge




Contact Form