Day 19 -How to Declutter Your Glasses and Wine Glasses

Hello, how are you today?


If you have been following along with the 30 days to an organised kitchen, you will know that you need to declutter your space before you can design the perfectly organised space of your dreams.




So today's task is to declutter your glasses and wine glasses and any other glassware you have.


Let's start with any cracked glasses. Throw these away immediately because not only are they dangerous, but nobody wants to drink from a glass that has chips in it, did I mention they are dangerous!!


Next, take into account how frequently each item is used. It's time to say goodbye to your child’s plastic beakers if they are old enough to drink out of glasses.

 

Large Brandy Glasses

Why not give those enormous brandy glasses that your sister gave you for Christmas last year (even though you don't drink alcohol!!) to someone who will use them, whether it's someone you know or a charitable organisation. Is that just me?

 

If you really need to free up space, you can store anything seasonal with your seasonal decorations. However, if you have the space, you can give them their own spot at the top or back of the cupboard.

 

Sort the remaining glasses into "like" groups once you have gotten rid of the broken or unnecessary items. The number of items you have for each category can thus be seen visually. If you don't drink wine and juice is your preferred beverage, it is pointless to have 8 wine glasses and no room for juice glasses.

 

Establish Zones.

Glassware and cups can be easily arranged in zones based on type or use. Every member of the family can easily find what they're looking for thanks to the creation of zones.

If you want to make it simpler to put things away in the right places or to "remind" family members where things go, you can even stick small labels on the edges of the shelves.  You guys know how much I love my labels, but I think that is a little OTT even for me.

My Glassware cupboard - is a mixture of cupboards really - because we don't have a lot of space.  In the cupboard, I keep my glasses, mugs, and crockery.  So it really is important that I keep on top of my clutter.  As you can see from the picture below - I have not been keeping on top of my clutter!!! ☹   I have to say - this was due to my depression. Depression sucks!! I know its part of me - and I will have it forever, but it does seem to happen at the worst possible times - I was completely depressed over Christmas - as a  result - I did not home organising - this is the time of year when you need it the most, especially with visitors popping in, whenever - Sorry I digress... Let's get back to the task at hand.


Declutter and Organise your glasses


I do try to keep my cupboard zoned off though.  The cups together with the plates and my water bottles - but we will be tackling them in tomorrow's task - so I'm not worried about them today ðŸ˜Š

Yes, the odd pint glass or 12 slips through into an unallocated zone.  But they are my husband's glasses - so I don't feel like I should declutter his things.  It's kind of a nightmare when one of you is a recovering hoarder, and one is still very much a hoarder. You do end up keep having to stuff shuffle - even though they are not your things.  It does get on your nerves.

So I'm only going to focus on the glassware section. As the other sections in the cupboard will be decluttered on other days.


Declutter and organise your pint glasses


You might set up zones for: 

  • Glasses for Juice
  • Kids' cups/glasses
  • Wine glasses.
  • Pint glasses.
  • Cocktail Glasses

The list can go on and on.

 

Use multi-purpose cups and glasses.

I make every effort to maximise the available space because my kitchen cupboards are small. The use of multipurpose cups and glasses is one method for accomplishing this.

My husband drinks tea, and I drink coffee. We don’t have special cups and mugs for each, we just use mugs.  And water and juice both taste great in our stemmed pint glasses.

Pint Glasses

I always use a pint glass for my juice, as I find I drink more if I put it in a pint glass.  My husband's extremely rare beer also goes in a pint glass. It really makes no sense as he's not a drinker (maybe a pint or two a year) why he insists on keeping all the pint glasses.

Stemless wine glasses.

I'll be honest: I didn't use stemless wine glasses as soon as they were popular. I've always loved the way stemware looks, so at first, I didn’t buy them – it was only when my husband bought me two from Tiffany’s that I tried them. I must admit, though, that these days we use stemless glasses more frequently because they are the perfect size for breakfast juices.  But not my Tiffany ones, I keep these in my showcase.

Stackable Glasses

If you're short on space, stacking your glassware is another way to organize it. A set of stackable drinkware is available. Tumblers made of stainless steel and basic pint glasses also work great.

 




I hope you found some inspiration for organising your glassware! Remember, whatever system works best for you and your household is the best system to use. And, it’s ok if it takes a few tries to find the perfect solution for your home.  I regularly re-organise spaces as I come across new ideas. Happy organizing!

 


I really appreciate you stopping by and want to say thank you - because without you I wouldn't be here. Believe in Yourself, You got this, NOW Go Declutter!

Contact Form